Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The people on the edge of the night

Got on the Saco River briefly tonight. Current was strong again, near the dam. Arms still sore from Monday, when I had to hustle back upstream and out.  It was the strongest water current I've dealt with. Then just sat on the river's edge listening, feeling, smelling, seeing and experiencing the energy of it all.



Footnote: last night was the third time I took a walk in the evening and was hit up for a dollar. Each time it's been a young guy.
I had my headset on. "Spare a dollar?" he asked.

"What's that?" I ask, taking off my headset.
"Got a dollar?" he repeats.
I shake my head. "Sorry," I say, walking on.


'Cause love's such an old-fashioned word
and love dares you to care for
The people on the edge of the night
And love dares you to change our way of
Caring about ourselves
This is our last dance
This is our last dance
This is ourselves
Under pressure 
   (from Under Pressure - Freddie Mercury. David Bowie. )

I turn and glance back at him. Does he actually need help? greed or true need? Looking for a hand, or a hand-out? One can never be sure. I never want to say no to someone who might really, really need a yes.
"What do you need a dollar for?" I call out.
He's a bit surprised. "ummm...I was gonna buy a slushie.  then just walk around."
He looks fed. Clothed. Clean.


"I'd give you one if I had it," I say.  
"No problem."
"You sure you're okay?"
"Yup."

I walk on. He says he's okay.

  

No comments: