Friday, August 17, 2012

Conditions Change


Tonight's trek on the river started out well enough.  Put in at a different portage than usual - this one across and down river, closer to the hydroelectric dam.

Came across this odd-looking nest of nasty looking inhabitants...didn't dare venture too closely, they were large, black and looked like they meant business. I don't want to find myself an unwelcome passerby to angry, winged stinging things, especially not in a kayak!


Then I came across this long log which had at least seven turtles sunning themselves on it. As I glided closer they all dropped into the water one by one...and at last these two; but not before their photo-op. 
 It was so peaceful and I had brought a book and paddled way upstream, letting the current slowly float me back while I read 'Well Out To Sea' by Eva Murray, recommended by a dear friend. About life on Matinicus Island off the coast of Maine. 


 It was so good I didn't notice the changing skies until I heard a low, distant, distinct growl of thunder.        Uh oh. 

I pack my stuff in the bow of the kayak and do some serious paddling, being twenty minutes from portage.


Like birthing contractions, the length of time between thunder rumblings is at first minutes, then they come closer. A storm is about to be born.


The inevitable raindrops begin to fall. Gently at first. Then harder, more persistent. Lightening flashes.
Again. and again.

It's terrifying.

and exhilarating. 


Drenched, thinking of how excellent a conductor water is for electricity, I decide to get off the waterway and strand myself along the edge. There's no place to take shelter except under the trees.  The wind picks up and a driving rain is pouring down. I'm cold, wet, exposed, and I have to pee. A feeling of being feral overcomes me.  I just let go, like the storm. I feel the warmness of urine run down my legs, washed away by a cool, driving rain.  The lightening is intense now, the sky above wild, intimidating, yet without bad intent or maliciousness.

It is what it is.

Like nearby creatures, I wait and watch the storm.






No comments: