Monday, July 9, 2012

Mortally Wounded Dragonfly


Rescued (or another way to look at it: interfered with) this dragonfly from the surface of the river. Mortally wounded; unable to fly; he would have drowned. I surmise he battled with another dragonfly, who eviscerated his abdomen. There was wing damage too (lower right wing)



Here's a picture of a dragonfly's anatomy (I cited the site)


http://www.snh.org.uk/publications/on-line/naturallyscottish/dragonfly/breedandfeed.asp

It lived almost two hours after rescue (intervention) 
I have no way of knowing how long it had been in the river before I came along. 
It tried to fly a couple of times, but the attempt failed. It grasped onto my finger and held tight. I held it in the sunshine so it could bask in the warmth. I tried to impart a soothing energy to it so it wouldn't feel alone. 




No comments: