Sunday, September 23, 2012

Spider Web Signs, Canoeing Couples, & Muffled Crickets


Friday night had non-kayak plans   (hey! it happens ;^)  
Saturday night the weather was not river-able.
Tonight...it's a go! When little spider webs glisten in afternoon sun, that's a sign (on a sign)


At the portage a man and his son are fishing. I love seeing a parent and child drop a line.

Lately a young man has been fishing in an old canoe near the portage site. The first time I seen him he was taking his young black labrador out for the first time.  The dog was hyper-alert and stable, setting out.
The next time I seen the man I asked how the dog did.
"Great."
Tonight a young woman was in the canoe with him. They wave as I pass by.
I ask the quintessential two-word fishing question: "Any luck?"
He shakes his head.
"ah!," I say, "You're bad luck is the fishes good luck."
She laughs.
"Enjoy your evening," she well-wishes me.
"You folks too."

 It's really quiet tonight. The crickets are cricking, but it is a muted sound, as though the cooling autumn air muffles their excitement and they are just cricking for the sake of cricking.  No birds are singing.  Everything, it seems, is quieting down. 
Clear Skied Sunset on the Presumpscot

No comments: